Thornwood Veterinary Clinic is searching for a part-time/ full-time team member to work up to four days a week, within a flexible Monday through Friday schedule. We are a well-equipped small animal hospital that is actively growing with a wonderful client base, great patients and updated equipment, including digital radiography, digital dental radiography, ultrasound and in-house laboratory.
This team member would have a very significant role in communicating with clients about their pets. He or she will assist with answering telephones, greeting clients and escorting them to exam rooms, receives and transmits telephone and other messages and performs a variety of other related services, in addition to appointment and treatment tasks.
- Obtain medical history, including TPR when indicated by doctor or technician, from owners prior to doctor examinations during appointments.
- Assist the doctor and technician in medical procedures, including but not limited to surgery, blood draws and radiographs.
- Give injections and administers oral medications in accordance with hospital policy.
- Assist with emergency procedures such as control of bleeding, resuscitation with oxygen, and external cardiac massage.
- Properly clean all surgical materials after they are used; keep the treatment and surgical rooms properly stocked.
- Assist in restraining pets.
- Record observations on patients.
- Perform clinical laboratory procedures such as heartworm checks and operating analyzers and ensures that test results are recorded in patient records.
- Answer telephones and place calls quickly, efficiently and in a professional and friendly manner, using a multi-line telephone system.
- Answer client inquiries about hospital policies, nonmedical care questions, costs of immunizations and routine procedures.
- Receive and transmit telephone, email and fax messages accurately and promptly.
- Greet clients, enter or update client and pet information into practice computer system, escort clients and pets to exam rooms.
- Prepare health certificates, immunization certificates, laboratory reports and euthanasia certificates for doctor review.
- Prepare and maintain the exam rooms and treatment areas, with assistance from other staff members.
- Admit and discharge patients on the doctor’s orders, ensuring that patients are well groomed and in an appropriate state. Counsel clients on various aspects of animal care at the direction of the doctor or technician; explain medication administration; reinforce the proper care and procedures that should be followed at home; make follow-up calls to clients.
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions.
- Maintain positive, cooperative relationships with other employees.
EDUCATION AND LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS
High school diploma or equivalent
Minimum two years of experience as a veterinary assistant preferred, but not required
- Feel and express a genuine liking for animals and for working in an animal care environment.
- Deal intelligibly, pleasantly and efficiently with clients on the telephone and in person, often doing several things at one time.
- Display tact and diplomacy with staff members and clients.
- Work almost constantly in the presence of other staff members and clients.
- Be flexible in attitude and work habits. Quickly learn how to pronounce, know the meaning of and spell commonly used veterinary terms.
- Perform basic computer skills and be willing to learn new software as related to veterinary electronic medical record keeping.
- Stay calm and efficient during a medical crisis.
- Be able to work effectively with doctors and technicians and follow directions quickly and efficiently.
- Experienced in the teamwork approach and works well with all hospital staff members.
- Excellent client communication skills
How to Apply for the Position
Please email your application/resume.